"You can learn more about a person in an hour of play than a year of conversation."
Adventures Beyond Barriers Foundation (ABBF) was founded by Divyanshu Ganatra - a clinical psychologist and corporate facilitator by profession, adventure sportsperson by passion, and a self-made social entrepreneur. He also happens to be India's first blind solo paragliding pilot. To watch a video clip of his first flight, click here.
ABBF is a not-for-profit organisation that promotes inclusivity. Through adaptive adventure and sports activities, we provide opportunities for people (with and without disability) to come together and experience the adrenaline and camaraderie that only sport has to offer. Through our outdoor sessions and collaborations, we aim to provide more visibility for people with disability, promoting an environment of openness, sensitivity and empathy. Watch our promo video here.
By spending time outdoors together, we hope to achieve two things –
- Spread awareness that the spirit of adventure is not impeded by disability
- Ward off common misconceptions about disability that stem from ignorance and feed popular social stereotypes.
Currently we participate in a range of adventure activities including marathons and running events, tandem cycling, scuba diving, paragliding, and trekking and mountaineering.
The year that was : 2016
- Participation in 17 marathons in Pune, Mumbai, Hyderabad, Bangalore and Chennai in which we reached out to over 2000 runners with disabilities which included blind and visually impaired, hearing impaired, intellectually impaired, physically challenged as well as blind and deaf individuals.
- Provision of shoes, socks, nutrition, transport, accommodation, free medical checks, and professional allies for practice to all runners
- Organization of over a dozen treks and camps with Persons with Disability and able-bodied people together, particularly trek to Everest Base Camp. ABBF has also supported an amputee's attempt to summit Mount Everest
- Trained amputees, paraplegics as well as quadriplegics in Scuba Diving
- Facilitated blind and sighted cyclists to participate in duathlons and cycling events on tandem cycles. Earlier this year, our team was the first blind and sighted team of cyclists to successfully complete M2K2016, a tandem cycling expedition from Manali to the world's highest motorable road, Khardung La.
- Outreach to over 150,000 people from the mainstream community and over 3500 Persons with Disability in the past year
- Outreach to over 20 million people across the globe through mainstream media, such as The Hindu, Outlook India, The Indian Express, Times of India, and Sayfty.com.
- Feature on Amitabh Bachchan's talk show 'Aaj ki Raat Hai Zindagi'. Watch the episode here.
- Received support from various celebrities on different events and cause of inclusive sport - Amitabh Bachchan, Sanjay Suri, Grammy award winning singer Tanvi Shah, Life of Pi actor Adil Hussain.